Monday, February 29, 2016

Only 10 years late

Stephen Chow’s The Mermaid, reviewed.

I mentioned last week that I saw and liked Journey to the West, a well directed kung fu-ish Buddhist comedy.

It was directed by Stephen Chow, who I didn't realise has been a huge name in Hong Kong and China (and relatively well known in the West too) until I read up about Journey. 

He's now got an enormous hit on his hands in China with The Mermaid, which I see has a one cinema release in Brisbane (in one of the more Chinese heavy suburbs.)

I also see from Reddit that lots of people love his 2005 film Kung Fu Hustle, which I found on Google Play movies, and have "rented" to watch sometime in the next month.

(This is the first time I have rented a movie from Google Play.  I see that buying movies from them has attracted much criticism, as they apparently do not allow the downloaded movie to be moved, ever, from the location it was downloaded to.  And that can't be a PC hard drive: it has to be an Android device or a Chromebook tablet.   I also am curious about the SD picture quality.  But all will be revealed when I start watching the downloaded movie...)

No comments: