Sunday, June 22, 2014

A Pope on my side

Pope Francis warns on 'evil' of drugs, opposes legalization | Reuters

Yay.

I was thinking while watching Four Corners last week (about the prostitution, drug use and poverty in Brazil in close proximity to the World Cup) that the drug dealers who trade with the poor in such countries are utterly despicable.   I wouldn't mind betting that this Pope's strong views on the matter are due to his familiarity with the society wide problems caused by illicit drug use in his home continent, particularly amongst the poor.  Popes from Europe would not have had the same exposure to the issue, and maybe that's why I cannot recall it being mentioned much by them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, I've like totally changed my mind on this issue now ... NOT

Jason

Steve said...

Come on, Jason. Don't you get at least a twinge of hesitation at times that the current drug "legalisation" push is mainly a rich Westerner's ideal policy?

(And yeah, I know about Ururuay - where the decriminalisation of marijuana does not even have voter support.)