Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Mixed Spielberg news

I've been getting depressed waiting on Steven Spielberg to decide on his next movie project.  It's been a long time since he was filming Lincoln.

Of course, I was rather underwhelmed to read that he has committed to making a live action version of Dahl's BFG, which I have never read but assume to be rather slight. 

There has also been news that he may make a Cold War era film with Tom Hanks - that sounds a bit more promising, but I have grown fairly cool on Hanks, despite a pretty good turn he did as Captain Phillips.

Most promising of all, however, is that there is a script being developed by Tony Kushner for a recent book about the fascinating Egardo Mortara kidnapping case from Italy in the 1800's.  Now that's potential meaty material for a good Spielberg film.   I thought Kushner did a really good job on the Lincoln film, so here's hoping Spielberg takes this on.

As an aside, I don't really know what is coming up for the American summer movie season that is only weeks away.  Now that I check a list - wow, there is really little to be excited about.

No comments: