Monday, July 30, 2012

Fake meat news

Beyond Meat: Fake chicken that tastes so real it will freak you out. - Slate Magazine

The only thing is, you can't get this fake chicken yet.

As it happens, on the weekend, I make spaghetti bolognese using Quorn (which gets a mention in the article) in its "minced meat" version.   The result was not bad, and certainly it looks exactly like the "real" dish.  The Quorn itself is, however, soft on the tooth and feels less "weighty"  than meet, as well as not really having much flavour of itself.   But, following a Quorn recipe using quite a bit of vegetables (small diced carrot, celery and mushroom) the result was still pretty pleasing.

In looking at the packet, I think I saw that the Quorn was about 11grams of protein per 100 grams.  That doesn't sound much, but then again I had to go find out how much protein you get in a piece of steak.   Looking at this site, it appears to be 20 gram per 100 grams, which is a bit less than I would have guessed.   I see that chicken breast is actually a bit higher in protein than steak.  I wouldn't have guessed that either.

Quorn sure isn't cheap ($6 for the 300 gram bag at Coles), but as a substitute just when it feels like you've been eating too much meat lately, it's not bad.

No comments: