Monday, April 19, 2010

What next??

Dinner is the theater as food paparazzi converge - latimes.com

The LA Times has an amusing and surprising report on the trend for people to photograph their food. It's starting to annoy some restaurants so much they have a "non flash only" policy.

But, here's the most ridiculous digital photo development I have heard:
Camera manufacturers are joining the trend. Nikon, Olympus and Sony sell cameras that offer "cuisine" or "food" settings, which adjust to enhance colors and textures on close-ups.
How come they haven't come up with a "shower/bedroom flesh tone" setting for men, then? Would be used more often, I bet.

And now to reveal my hypocrisy: I must admit I have taken a few food photos over the years, but - I think - only in Japan, where it has novelty value and presentation is extremely important. No, that's different from taking photos of food in your local restaurant - honest.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heh,
Yeah, my wife and I took some food photos in Japan last year too. In our defence it was sashimi and she was very impressed. We got photos of the chef's too.

You're right though. I'm a bit of a food snob (ok, more than a bit...) and I wouldn't go that far. It is a bit wanky.