Monday, October 19, 2009

Pet peeve noted - please ignore if offended by the trivial

As I'm posting on the trivial today, and a blog is the ideal place to get a pet peeve that's bothered you for years off your chest, I note as follows.

For the first time in many years, I just had a strawberry milkshake (with malt.) The malt cost 50 cents extra, which must make it one of the more precious foodstuffs available at a milk bar, but that's not the peeve.

It's the fact that, after whisking the shake, the guy looked at the level in the container, and then topped it up with a bit more, unshaken, plain milk. Then it was served it to me.

I had forgotten about this fairly widespread and (to my mind) very irritating practice that I used to note when I was a more regular milkshake consumer. (We're talking university days now.)

I don't want my strawberry flavoured milk diluted at the last minute by the addition of more plain milk. It also doesn't do much for the frothy head either. If it is to be done at all (and it should not need to be if the original estimate was better) it should at the very least be put it back on the machine. But those who top up in this way never do.

I'm already planning my cranky old man tactic of just walking away when I see this done. (Unless, of course, I have already paid for it.)

2 comments:

TimT said...

I'm still hung up on the fact that you had a STRAWBERRY milkshake. Are you crazy?

Hard pressed to find a malt milkshake nowadays. Good that some places still do it, though.

Steve said...

As a child, when on holiday in Sydney, I would sometimes get to have a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich and a strawberry malted milkshake for breakfast from the inner city Coles cafeteria. Delicious! I miss old fashioned Coles cafeterias.