Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mixed up man

Richard O’Brien: Rocky Horror? It was all about my mother - Times Online

The success of Rocky Horror, and its continual revival on stage, has always been a major puzzle to me. It has one catchy song, and is not very funny. Its point, or aim, is distinctly fuzzy. Why dedicated heterosexuals with no inclination to cross dress flock to it makes very little sense.

Last year (I think) it's writer, Englishman Richard O'Brien, appeared on ABC's amusing quiz show Spicks and Specks, and was as camp as could be. Well, I was hardly surprised.

Yet, as this interview in The Times above shows, he is even more confused and confounding than expected. (Has a son, even.)

I still don't forgive him for Rocky Horror, though, no matter how unpleasant his mother was.

No comments: