Friday, May 29, 2009

Please, donate to find a cure for Tim

This is pretty funny. As I noted earlier this week, Tim of Will Type for Food fame did not like Samson and Delilah, a new Australian film. Found it quite boring and tedious, and could not understand the critical acclaim.

Shortly after expressing this view, it won a prize at Cannes. It was Tim against the world.

Well, we all thought, Cannes is full of left leaning critics who, just like David Stratton and our local crowd, would warm to a film about the social problems plaguing Central Australian aborigines.

But today, conservative Andrew Bolt writes a kind of review praising the film too. In fact, he says it is "impeccably paced," yet the pacing seemed to be exactly the thing that Tim criticised.

Clearly, Tim is suffering from some unusual form of cognitive deficit. He needs treatment.

Given sufficient funds, I can imagine a sort of reverse Clockwork Orange treatment: strapped in a dentist's chair, eyes pried open, but this time injected with some pleasure inducing substance while re-watching the film, until he gets it, just like the rest of the world.

Either that or I should just go see it to reassure Tim that he is not wrong. I love pre-hating Australian films, after all.

Update: Alternatively, I suppose there could be a sort of failed critic's gulag set up, presumably in some location that is extremely boring so as to ensure that, when they are allowed to watch a tedious film again, it seems thrilling by comparison. Readers are free to suggest the most appropriate Australian location for such a camp. I'm thinking parts of South Australia, myself, although even the quietest town there still has the thrill of avoiding acid barrels.

3 comments:

TimT said...

Thank you for your most generous charity. Given time, I'm sure I can find some sort of cure for my undebilitating condition. (Undebilitating? Is that abilitating?)

Caz said...

Hee, hee, hee.

Noice, very noice Steve.

I too read the Bolt review, which was unusual, since I rarely read him. Naturally Tim's post had alerted me to the topic so my radar was up when I saw that Bolt was onto it as well.

Oh what a surprise!

Bolt loved it!

A sign of the end of times?

Donation for Tim's treatment is on the way.

A large cheque.

Clearly his state of mind is far worse than we'd ever imagined.

Caz said...

I second that!

The appeal to save Tim is concise and easy to understand.

I too like this post.

This blog is interesting and information!