Monday, August 25, 2008

Anti - Olympics wrap up

There's a certain "anything goes" attitude about Olympics closing ceremonies. From what I saw of last nights approach, there were a lot of glowing suits and people running around, a bit like Tron being re-enacted by a North Korean choreographed ant colony.

I didn't realise our Olympic diving gold medallist was gay until I heard him speak afterwards, which reminded me of the puzzle as to why gay men (often) sound gay. This issue was also brought up last week on the 7.30 Report by that gay American humorist who apparently is very famous, but who has managed to slip beneath my radar forever. I still can't remember his name. I have a vague recollection of reading of some research into this topic some years ago, but I forget what it said. I seem to be suffering gay amnesia today.

On the heterosexual side, The Times continued its tabloid descent by running an article that gave a first hand account about how lots of athletes have lots of sex after their events. Yes, sports and sex have always had a close affinity, which makes me rather cynical of the high minded "Olympic spirit" guff about it all being about peace and goodwill between nations.

I definitely have a "glass half empty" approach to watching sport: especially when some highly rated competitor fails spectacularly, I can't help but think "just how many years of your life did you spend wasting on practice for this event? Don't you feel a complete goose?" (Of course, they may be cheered up by knowing they have an orgy lined up later that night; but then again, according to The Times, it's mainly the winners who get to do that.)

To go further, if selflessness is considered something of an ideal by the major religions, isn't all this striving for personal bests and intensive observation of their bodies' performance pretty much the antithesis of that idea? There's a good argument to be made for the Pope to condemn the Olympics, and not just because of the free condoms.

I feel particularly sorry for child gymnasts, who seem to go through torture via adults seeking to achieve vicarious fame and fortune.

Kevin Rudd on Radio National this morning hinted that there could be more government funding for sport. This seems odd, given that there seems to have been quite a lot of commentary around this time about the ridiculous cost per medal of our efforts. One can only hope for some sort of scaling down of Olympic grandiosity, but it seems destined never to happen.

No comments: