Thursday, July 05, 2007

Any gluttons for punishment out there?

At the Movies: West

When David Stratton says this about an Australian movie, you know it must be unpleasant:
It's beautifully acted, it's well-directed, it's, the cinematography is fine and it's possibly, probably, an authentic depiction of life in the western suburbs of our cities, but it's such a deeply, deeply depressing experience in the cinema.

And coming on the heels of other deeply depressing Australian films like CANDY and other films like it, I just sat through the film getting more and more miserable as the film went on...

And, the four-letter language all the way through - I'm sure it's like that but it makes me wonder what a film like, who, where the audience is for this film.
Yet, in the strange way of assessing films they use, he still gives it 3/5. (As always, there seems to be a 1 to 2 star bonus there simply for it being an Australia project.)

The writer/director, meanwhile, thought he was writing for an audience:
WEST grew out of, basically, things that had happened to me as a teenager. I wrote the first draft, kind of in a haphazard way, when I was very young. I was about 16. I didn't really know what I was doing and I just - I was just trying to write something that I felt that I would want to see or that my friends would want to see.

So it wasn't an intellectual process at all. It was just spewing it out, you know, I guess. And then - and then the script - I worked the script really for another eight years in between other jobs and the draft that we shot was completed in about '94 and then it took a long time to get the money after that. So it was an exercise in persistence and patience really.
He seemed very earnest in the interview, which makes the almost guaranteed failure to find an audience for the project that has been on his mind for many, many years seem rather sad. Sort of. The other part of me just wants to continue ridiculing him.

Really, someone should be giving a collective slap in the face to Australian film makers and start yelling "snap out of it. Make something other than dire films about losers. NO, not even about losers who seem to come good in the last five minutes! And you, funders, stop spending money on them!"

No comments: