Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Women in Pain

news @ nature.com�-�Surging hormones blamed for pain�-�Study of sex-change patients reveals role of oestrogen.

The link above is to a story about how it seems that women experience more pain than men because of oestrogen. It notes that men taking female hormones (for sex change purposes) often start to experience chronic pain. (I wonder if Zoe Brain has thought about this?)

Actually, the whole article surprises me a bit because I had not realised that women "have long been known to experience more pain than men." Well, I suppose it was obvious that they have more painful events (like childbirth and, for many, monthly period pain,) but I didn't realise that apart from that they generally have more pain, as the article suggests. So the old excuse of "not tonight dear I have a headache" is accurate after all?

The article notes that it may help women with chronic pain to give them testosterone, but "giving testosterone to women is more complicated than giving it to men." Yeah I guess growing a beard and getting a deep voice is a pretty big price to pay for pain relief...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Christian, 9 Years Old
I have never done one of these here birthday newsletters for one of my kids. And you know what? I don't care whether it's copying everyone else.
Great Blog! If you have time see my ##MLM## related site. enjoy! It pretty much covers ##MLM## related stuff.

Anonymous said...

What a blog! My own little work at home business site/blog pales in comparison. You are welcome to visit nontheless Keep up the good work!